DEWALT® Launches Cordless Compact Worksite Radio DCR018
New Cordless Compact Worksite Radio with Multi-PortTM Interface
Earlier this week DEWALT announced the launch of a new compact worksite radio featuring their new Multi-PortTM interface. We’ve been playing with this new radio secretly for a few weeks so we could bring your our thoughts as soon as the radio was announced publicly. Before I talk about my thoughts on this new compact radio let me first present the features of the DCR018.
Features and Specifications
- Runs off 12-volt max, 18-volt NiCad/lithium-ion and 20-volt max DEWALT power tool batteries making it compatible with DEWALT’s largest systems of batteries
- AC/DC power allowing the flexibility to run off AC power cord or DEWALT power tool batteries
- Device storage box protects digital audio devices from jobsite debris and damage
- USB Power port allows device to be charged via USB when radio is plugged into AC wall outlet
- 3.5 mm aux. input allows for connection to CD, MP3, portable satellite receivers, and other digital audio devices
- Heavy duty design with roll cage increases durability to withstand jobsite abuse
- Weight: 7.3 lbs
- H: 10.75″ W: 7.475″ D: 10″
Compact Size & Big Sound
Time and time again it seems that DEWALT lags behind some of the other brands when it comes to releasing a new style of product. Most notably was the transformation from post battery packs to the slide packs. Having said that each time they show up late to the dance they bring a real beauty queen and this time is no different. The DEWALT DCR018 is roughly a 1/3 the size of their recently announced DCR015 full size radio with quite a few of the same features plus one or two of it’s own!
I really like this compact radio for several reasons including:
- First and foremost I love the fact that this radio will run on so many different batteries including the 12V (slide pack), 18V (post pack), and 20V (slide pack). Just like the cordless vacuum. Combine that with the fact that the radio can be powered by an A/C cord and you’ve got a very versatile radio in a robust case.
- Really like the smart phone/Ipod compartment where you can plug in your phone and listen to music. I also like the built-in USB port that you can use to charge your phone when the radio is plugged in with the A/C cord.
- And above all the radio sounds really great.
Overall this is a great little radio packed with some great features. If I had one recommendation for a small tweak to it’s design I’d like to see some sort of hook/latch/or hole near the top to make it easy to hang on a nail/screw. The fact that it runs on both battery platforms is a huge bonus! Priced around $100 it’s certainly inline with other compact radios on the market. Currently they are available online at The Home Depot here: DEWALT Corded / Cordless Compact Worksite Radio DCR018
About the author
Product reviews on this site contain our opinion of a product or service. We will always strive for objectivity and transparency in our reviews. Our goal is to provide readers with honest, objective information based on our own experiences. We never have and never will accept payment in exchange for a positive review. Many of the products that we review are provided to us for free by a manufacturer or retailer. In some cases, we also have advertising or affiliate relationships with manufacturers and retailers of products and services we review. For additional information please visit our additional disclosure policies.