Craftsman 10 Inch Miter Saw Review
Craftsman 10″ Compact Sliding Compound Miter Saw – SM2509RC
Craftsman 10" Compact Sliding Miter Saw
Model number: SM2509RC
Power source: 120V
Motor size: 15.0 Amp
Weight: 43.0 lbs
Features and Specifications
- Includes: compact sliding miter saw, hold-down clamp, blade, blade wrench, dust bag, extension tables, operator’s manual.
- The Craftsman 10” Compact Sliding Compound Miter Saw’s 15.0 Amp motor delivers high torque and speed, perfect for hard and soft woods
- Wall-hugging design can be used against a wall, requiring 39% less operating space than other standard sliding miter saws
- Cross-cut boards up to 12 1/2-in wide at 90◦
- Built-in retractable, telescoping aluminum extension wings with an adjustable stop plate for rapid repetitive cuts and support for long work pieces
- Laser Trac™ provides an accurate pre-cut alignment of workpiece
- The 0-50 degree miter adjustment includes common positive stops for accurate cuts and tight bevels on the fly
- 60 tooth carbide tipped saw blade with standard 5/8″ arbor
- Tall, rapid-release left side sliding fence for extra support
- Aluminum construction makes the Craftsman 10 Inch Compact Sliding Miter Saw portable, durable and easy to move from home to jobsite
- One Year Limited Warranty
Powerful Yet Compact
I get to test drive quite a few new miter saws every year so it’s nice to see something a bit different on the market especially in the DIY category. The Craftsman SM2509RC offers a compact design that uses forward mounted support rails to drastically reduce the footprint of the saw behind the fence, which ultimately means your support bench can be quite a bit narrower than more traditional sliding miter saws. The design looks very similar to the one that Festool uses on the Kapex. Craftsman claims this design results in a footprint that’s 39% smaller than more traditional designs, and that is a big deal for people with small shops!
Even though the SM2509RC is a compact miter saw it offers excellent power. I tested this saw for power by cross cutting large pieces of LVL engineered lumber. The 15 amp motor easily cut through this material with the factory supplied blade. The power of this saw really impressed me as I wasn’t expecting it to compete with other larger commercial style saws but the SM2509RC performed very well.
Adjustability and Ergonomics
The Craftsman SM2509RC has a comfortable grip mounted on the right side of the saw. It’s a horizontal positioned grip that works great for a right handed user but may be somewhat awkward for lefties (I think vertical positioned grips are better for lefties, then again I’m a righties so what do I know!).
The saw offers miter detents at 0, 15, 22-1/2, 31.6 and 45 deg. left/right. The miter is easily adjusted with a lock and release on the front grip. Bevel detents are 0,33.9,45 deg. left and the lock and release are on the rear of the saw.
The saw has a clear plastic blade guard that offers good visibility and operates smoothly. The right fence is fixed while the left fence does expand for larger capacity and also to allow for left bevel cuts (this saw only bevels left).
Overall I found this saw comfortable to use and also easy to adjust. One thing to note, because of the small footprint this saw can tip easily when making extreme bevel cuts. The best solution is bolting it to the bench which eliminates this concern.
Overall Impression – Craftsman SM2509RC
The Craftsman Sm2509RC impressed me because it offers some nice features, it’s very compact and yet powerful. I think this is a great saw for homeowners and DIY’ers for a price of just under $300.
About the author
Product reviews on this site contain our opinion of a product or service. We will always strive for objectivity and transparency in our reviews. Our goal is to provide readers with honest, objective information based on our own experiences. We never have and never will accept payment in exchange for a positive review. Many of the products that we review are provided to us for free by a manufacturer or retailer. In some cases, we also have advertising or affiliate relationships with manufacturers and retailers of products and services we review. For additional information please visit our additional disclosure policies.