Bosch Barrel-Grip Jigsaw JS470EB Review
Bosch Model JS470EB Barrel-Grip Jigsaw
I recently had the pleasure of testing the all new Bosch JS470EB Barrel-Grip Jigsaw. I’ve been a huge fan of the Bosch 1591EVSK Barrel-Grip Jigsaw so I was eager to see what nice new features and improvements were updated on the JS470EB.
Bosch JS470EB Features
- Toolless Blade-Change System – Fast insertion, blade ejection lever eliminates need to touch hot blade. Most secure jigsaw clamping system.
- Ergonomic body with upfront softgrip area for maximum comfort and control.
- Variable speed – Dial sets operating speed.
- Large, sturdy die-cast foot with steel insert and on-board bevel wrench.
- Powerful 7.0-Amp Jigsaw – Top jigsaw amp rating.
- Exclusive multi-directional blade clamp provides superior grip of T-shank blades.
- Internal Precision Control – Precision-machined plunging system and low-vibration design for enhanced accuracy and extremely smooth operation.
- Constant Response™ circuitry – Maintains desired speed for consistent performance and precision.
- Four orbital-action settings -Different blade strokes for smooth to aggressive cuts.
- Adjustable dust blower keeps cutting line clear.
- Kit includes: Non-Marring Overshoe, Anti-Splinter Insert, Blade, Bevel Wrench, Carrying Case
- Amperage: 7.0
- Bevel Angle Range: 45°
- Category: Jig Saws
- Country of Origin: Switzerland
- Cutting Capacity- Soft Wood: 5-7/8″
- Cutting Capacity-Aluminum: 7/8″
- Cutting Capacity-Mild Steel: 3/8″
- Hertz: 60 Hz
- Max. Bevel Cut: 45°
- No Load SPM: 500-3,100
- Rating: 120V
- Stroke Length: 1″
- Weight (lbs.): 5.90
Bosch JS470EB Review
Right out of the box there are some obvious changes for the new barrel-grip jigsaw. Bosch has increased the motor from a 6.4 amp motor to a more powerful 7.0 amp version. They have also increased the top blade speed from 2,800 SPM to 3,100 SPM. The other notable difference is the larger, more robust die-cast foot.
After testing the new barrel-grip jigsaw here are some specific thoughts:
- Power – The JS470EB has more than enough power for even the toughest jobs around the shop. The new and improved 7.0 amp motor provides plenty of power and speed to tackle a variety of materials and cutting applications.
- Precision – There are lots of jigsaws on the market today and most of them don’t really cut that well (in my humble opinion). The combination of power, blade speed and heavy construction have made the JS470EB a very accurate and precise jigsaw. I was able to easily scroll around tight radius all while maintaining very nice “plumb” cuts.
- Controls – The JS470EB controls are easy to use including the on/off switch, orbital-action dial and the adjustable dust blower control. All three are located on the left hand side of the tool near the nosing. The only control not located there (located on the rear of the barrel) is the speed control. This is one area where I think the tool could use some improvement. I’d prefer seeing the speed control up near the front adjacent to the other controls so it can be reached during use. Having to stop cutting and set the speed is cumbersome in my opinion.
- Jigsaw Foot Features – The JS470EB comes with a non-marring overshoe along with an anti-splinter insert for cutting fragile materials. The overshoe is easy to attach and a nice feature especially when cutting on delicate surfaces like countertops.
- Extra Long Cord – This may sound silly but one of my favorite features on the JS470EB is the extra long cord. I didn’t measure the cord but it has to be at least 10 feet long if not longer. This is such a simple yet important feature. I really dislike having to hook up tools to extension cords. I prefer plugging them directly into my wall outlets and that’s 100% possible with this nice long cord.
- Storage Compartment – The carrying case includes a really nice small storage compartment for storing blades and accessories. This is a feature that I wish most tool cases would include instead of having all the accessories rolling around and falling out.
It’s really refreshing to see all the effort that today’s leading tool manufacturers are putting into the development and improvement of their existing lines. Frankly I wasn’t sure what could be improved upon with the old 1591EVSK but they made some great improvements while maintaining the quality and features that I loved.
The Bosch JS470EB Barrel-Grip Jigsaw is a slam dunk. If you enjoy owning and working with top quality tools then this one should be at the top of your list.
Where To Buy
The JS470EB is already available at authorized Bosch Dealers. You can also buy it online at:
- Amazon – $154.99 and FREE shipping: Bosch JS470EB 7.0-Amp Barrel-Grip Jigsaw
About the author
Product reviews on this site contain our opinion of a product or service. We will always strive for objectivity and transparency in our reviews. Our goal is to provide readers with honest, objective information based on our own experiences. We never have and never will accept payment in exchange for a positive review. Many of the products that we review are provided to us for free by a manufacturer or retailer. In some cases, we also have advertising or affiliate relationships with manufacturers and retailers of products and services we review. For additional information please visit our additional disclosure policies.