Porter-Cable 15″ Drill Press Review
Porter-Cable 15″ Drill Press – Model PCB660DP
Thanks to the folks at Porter-Cable I’ve been testing their new 15″ drill press in my shop for the last few months. The new Porter-Cable PCB660DP, 15″ Floor Drill Press was introduced this summer and sells at Lowe’s.
I also wrote a detailed review of the PCB660DP on Home Construction & Improvement so I’ll only cover the basics here. If you want a more detailed review please check out the link for more information.
Product Information from Porter-Cable
Featuring first-class 4” spindle travel and X-Y axial projecting laser guidelines, the new PCB660DP delivers extra drilling capacity and accurate pre-alignment for precision and performance that woodworkers demand in the woodshop. In addition, a depth adjustment gauge enables precise drilling of repetitive-depth holes with a 5/8” chuck.
The PCB660DP includes a durable 13-15/64” by 13-15/64” cast iron table that tilts 45° right or left and rotates out of the way when the drill press base (20-3/8” by 11”) functions as a work surface. A quick-belt tension release knob allows woodworkers to quickly change between 12 operating speeds (300-3,100 RPM), and dual hubs provide left or right side handle locations for even greater ease of use and convenience.
An adjustable work light provides better illumination of work area is included and the rack and pinion table elevating allows for quick and easy adjustment of the work table.
- X-Y axial projecting laser guides provide accurate pre-alignment of drilling location
- Twelve operating speeds (300-3100RPM) allows for drilling in metals or wood and sanding operations
- Dual left and right hubs allow for placement of crank handles on either side of drill head
- Cast Iron work Table designed for wood or metal drilling, tilts up to 45 degrees for bevel drilling
- Spindle travel up to 4″ provides extra depth capacity
- Adjustment depth gauge allows for accurate repetitive drilling
- Adjustable gooseneck work light for better illumination of work area
- Motor: 8.0 Amps
- Motor Control: On/Off Toggle
- Speeds: 12 (300; 390; 450; 560; 640; 700; 990; 1550; 1620; 1900; 2620; 3100 RPM)
- Table Size: 13-15/64 x 13-15/64 “
- Table Tilt: L and R: 45 °
- Table Insert: No
- Column Diameter: 2-7/8 “
- Spindle Taper: MT2
- Chuck Taper: JT3
- Quill Diameter: 1.85 “
- Quill Stroke: 4 “
- Key Chuck Capacity: 5/8 “
- Chuck to Table Capacity: 24-3/4 “
- Chuck to Base Capacity: 44-3/8 “
- Height: 64 “
- Width: 16 “
- Depth: 26 “
- Weight: 151.10 lbs
Overall Impression of Porter-Cable PCB660DP
The Porter-Cable PCB660DP, 15″ Floor model includes some really great features at an affordable price point. Some of the features that stand out include:
- Easy to adjust adjustable speed system. No special tools are required to adjust the pulley/belt system to change the drill speed between one of the 12 operating speeds.
- X-Y Axis laser sight system. Easy to calibrate and a feature that helps speed up repetitive drilling operations.
- Powerful quiet motor.
- Well built chuck/spindle assembly that provided accurate repeatable results.
Priced at just $299 and available at Lowe’s the PCB660DP is a good value (learn about a Lowe’s Coupon that might help you buy this tool) . It’s a nice step up from bench-top drill presses for anyone looking for a reasonably priced drill press for their shop.
If I had one complaint (albeit small) it would be the work table. I think the table could be a bit larger and offer an area for a wood/plastic insert. Again this is a small issue as the drill press works very well and has some great features.
If you want to learn even more about this drill head on over to my other website and read the Porter-Cable 15″ Drill Press Review.
About the author
Product reviews on this site contain our opinion of a product or service. We will always strive for objectivity and transparency in our reviews. Our goal is to provide readers with honest, objective information based on our own experiences. We never have and never will accept payment in exchange for a positive review. Many of the products that we review are provided to us for free by a manufacturer or retailer. In some cases, we also have advertising or affiliate relationships with manufacturers and retailers of products and services we review. For additional information please visit our additional disclosure policies.