Stihl MS462 C-M Debuted At GIE 2018
Stihl MS462 C-M Debuted At GIE 2018
When I was a kid, time seemed to pass slowly by. As an adult it’s a different story altogether, time seems to go by in a blur. Years pass by in the blink of an eye… except this last one. I’ve been waiting for the Stihl MS462 C-M chainsaw for over a year, a very slow year. Ever since I picked up the Stihl MS362 C-M, I’ve been keeping an eye out on Stihl’s European site to see what saw would get the M-Tronic treatment next. Europe gets all the new Stihl stuff before we do.
I can’t remember exactly when but just after I saw it on the website, I came across a video of the it on the Swedish Homestead YouTube channel. I’ve been bugging our media contacts at Stihl USA about it ever since. And for good reason too, on paper this saw is nothing short of impressive.
What Is The Stihl MS462 C-M
The Stihl MS462 C-M is poised to be the MS441 and MS461 replacement. Although the 441 has already received the M-Tronic treatment, the 462 will be the premier 70cc saw in Stihl’s lineup. The saw is also the lightest 70cc saw Stihl has ever had. While it’s rated at 6 horsepower, the impressive part is that it is only 13 lbs. That gives it a power to weight ratio of .46 hp per pound. That’s a crazy number. It will be similar form factor to the MS362 with the slim sprocket cover and the only hole in the top cover will be for the decomp button. This saw is going to be awesome in the woods.
Who Is The Stihl MS462 C-M For
This saw is near the top of Stihl’s lineup. Just the 661 (90cc) and 880 (120cc) are more powerful. With that in mind, this is a professional saw for a professional user. Traditionally that would be an arborist or logger but a lot more recently there has been a ground swell of people milling their own lumber with chainsaws and alaskan mills. With a ripping chain, this saw will be great for those guys too.
- Displacement: 72.2 cc (4.41 in3)
- Engine Power: 4.4 kW (6.0 bhp)
- Weight: 6.0 kg (13.0 lbs.) or 6.3 kg (13.9 lbs.) for wrap handle model
- Fuel Capacity: 720 cc (24.35 oz)
- Chain Oil Capacity: 340 cc (11.5 oz)
- Guide Bar Lengths: 40 to 70 cm (16” to 28”), 25″ is recommended
- Equipped with M-Tronic engine management system. It auto-tunes the saw based on fuel and air conditi0ns.
- Slim sprocket cover reduces weight and wood chip clogging, holes for additional set of felling dogs/bucking spikes.
- Redesigned felling dogs/bucking spikes for better bite.
- Vertical and horizontal felling marks on the fan housing.
- Low-emissions engine with better fuel efficiency and less pollutants.
- STIHL Ematic™ oil pump, when combined with the STIHL OILOMATIC® saw chain, uses less oil while still providing more than adequate lubrication.
- Pre-separation air filtration combined with the automotive style filter does a better job filtering out fines.
- Quarter turn screws on top cover. Easy access to engine top end and intake components.
- Side-access chain tensioner and captive bar nuts.
- Toolless fuel & oil filler caps.
- STIHL MS 462 R C-M comes equipped with wrap handle. Often referred to as a “western-style” saw.
Stihl MS462 C-M Cost
The Stihl MS462 C-M has a MSRP of $1,100 and the wrap handle version is another $40 on top of that. That price is without a bar and chain. This saw can run a variety of bar lengths and chain types that are available at your local independent servicing Stihl dealer. The saw should be available starting in 2019.
About the author
Product reviews on this site contain our opinion of a product or service. We will always strive for objectivity and transparency in our reviews. Our goal is to provide readers with honest, objective information based on our own experiences. We never have and never will accept payment in exchange for a positive review. Many of the products that we review are provided to us for free by a manufacturer or retailer. In some cases, we also have advertising or affiliate relationships with manufacturers and retailers of products and services we review. For additional information please visit our additional disclosure policies.