DEWALT DCV580 Cordless Compact Wet/Dry Shop Vacuum
DEWALT® Launches New Compact 18V/20V MAX*
Corded and Cordless Portable Wet/Dry Vacuums
Model number: DCV580
Power source: 18/20 Volt DC Only
Weight: 8 lbs
With all the advances lately in batteries and the ever increasing offering of cordless tools it’s not surprising that cordless vacuums are being added to the lineup. DEWALT just announced the introduction of two new portable/cordless wet/dry vacuums with their DCV580 (cordless only) and DCV581H (corded and cordless) models. I’m really excited about these new cordless vacuums because they offer a much lighter/more versatile option for remodeling contractors and guys doing small punch list projects.
Features and Specifications
“With the launch of the DCV580 & DCV581H vacuums, we are proud to debut the Multi-PortTM battery interface,” says Todd Plajzer, Product Manager, DEWALT. The Multi-PortTM interface on the DCV580 & DCV581H allows the DEWALT 18V stem pack lithium ion and Nicad batteries or any of the 20V MAX* slide pack lithium ion batteries to fit into the same battery interface on the vacuums. This feature enables the wet/dry vacuums to be used with any of DEWALT’s 18V batteries or DEWALT’s fast growing 20V MAX* lithium ion batteries.
- Cordless operation powered by either an 18v or 20v MAX battery
- Easily accessible, washable/reusable filter; Tap or water rinse to clean
- Heavy-duty, crush-resistant, fully-integrated 5′ (by 1-1/4″ diameter) hose provides durability, flexibility and ease-of-use
- On-board hose and accessory storage makes the vacuum easy to carry/transport
- 2-Gallon tank capacity provides enough storage to empty a toilet or clogged pipe
I’ve had a chance to use the new DEWALT DCV580 for almost a month now. I’ve used it for both wet and dry applications and I’m impressed by this “pint” size vacuum. With a 2 gallon capacity it’s really light, small and easy to carry around. Yet it has enough capacity to be effective for plumbers, carpenters, electricians and anyone that makes small messes working in finished spaces. My thoughts on this exciting new tool are:
- I absolutely love the Multi-PortTM battery interface which allows the user to use an 18V post type battery or a newer 20V slide pack.
- This unit has lots of power and easily sucked up sawdust, water and demo debris.
- The hose and attachments are high quality and store on the unit very well.
- While the filter is easy to change and quite effective, the smaller (rare) size may make finding filters difficult.
- The small diameter hose (1-1/4″) tends to clog easily with construction debris and sawdust (a larger hose would certainly help prevent this).
Overall I really like the DEWALT DCV580 cordless vacuum. It has plenty of power and offers us a really great lightweight/portable solution for dealing with dust and cleanups. If you do small jobs, punch list work, plumbing repairs, etc, then this is an excellent option that will certainly lighten the load and speed up your cleanup. Priced just over $100 I think it’s a great value.
About the author
Product reviews on this site contain our opinion of a product or service. We will always strive for objectivity and transparency in our reviews. Our goal is to provide readers with honest, objective information based on our own experiences. We never have and never will accept payment in exchange for a positive review. Many of the products that we review are provided to us for free by a manufacturer or retailer. In some cases, we also have advertising or affiliate relationships with manufacturers and retailers of products and services we review. For additional information please visit our additional disclosure policies.