Makita 18V X2 LXT Brushless Wet/Dry Dust Extractor Review
Makita 18V X2 LXT Brushless Vacuum – Model XCV23Z
Makita Improved 18V X2 LXT Brushless Wet/Dry Dust Extractor
Model number: XCV23Z
Power source: (2) 18V LXT Batteries
Weight: 17 LBS with batteries
Dust extractors are beneficial to our health as contractors. Strict OSHA regulations prove that dust is dangerous and how important it is to keep dust to a very minimum on the job site. For example, the OSHA allowable exposure to wood dust is limited to 15 mg over an eight-hour time period, and that is just for wood dust. That does not include silica, drywall dust, or rodent feces. If unmanaged, dust will get everywhere: on floors, furniture, glassware, dishes, even toothbrushes. The client’s family and pets will be in the line of fire as well.
Makita’s “Improved” Dust Extractors
Makita has launched this “improved” dust extractor as well as its smaller brother the 2 gallon – model XCV20Z. Keeping the same characteristics as the previous models (XCV06Z and XCV14Z) the new improved extractors offer longer runtime and have reduced the noise decibels from 66 dB(A) to 64dB(A). Improved Dust Extractors are giving users a longer run time. Makita says you can get 100 minutes of continuous run time on a normal setting and 43 minutes on a high setting versus the previous models that offered 75 minutes of continuous run time on a low setting and 40 minutes on a high setting.
Makita XCV23Z Features and Specifications
- Brushless motor delivers 74 CFM and 44″ water lift of suction using two 18V LXT® Lithium-Ion batteries
- Up to 100 minutes of continuous run time on normal setting and 42 minutes on high setting using two 18V LXT® Lithium-Ion 5.0Ah batteries
- Brushless motor is electronically controlled to optimize battery energy use for up to 50% longer run time per charge
- Brushless Motor eliminates carbon brushes, enabling the BL™ Motor to run cooler and more efficiently for longer life
- An efficient cloth filter captures small dust particulates
- Precision lightweight motor components and efficient air ducting produce an overall weight of only 17 lbs. with batteries (batteries not included)
- Oversized on-off switch for operator convenience
- Motor chamber constructed of quality sound-absorbing materials for a quiet operating sound level of 64 dB(A) on a high setting
- Variable speed control dial for a variety of applications
- Large rubber bumper helps prevent damage to the work environment
- Locking cover for added protection of batteries
- Dual L.E.D. battery indicators show charge level for each 18V battery
- Quick-release metal latches for easy removal and disposal of debris from the canister
- Rear casters feature locking levers to prevent the vacuum from moving
- Removable storage box for storing attachment and batteries
- Equipped with 1-1/4″ x 5-1/2’ durable hose
- Equipped with Star Protection Computer Controls™ to protect against overloading, over-discharging, and over-heating
- 3-year limited warranty
Makita Dust Extractor Includes:
- Anti-static hose
- crevice tool
- floor nozzle
- aluminum bending pipe and telescoping wand
- cloth filter
- plastic disposal bag
Makita XCV23Z On the Job
On the job site, we are building a custom built-in storage unit for a client and need to make a custom benchtop. Using the Makita 18v Biscuit / Plate Joiner hooking it up to the Makita dust extractor. We turned the dial to the highest setting and the dust extractor left no shavings from the biscuit joiner. There was zero clean-up after making 2o biscuit cuts and as we walked making each cut the vacuum followed behind gliding nicely. Makita designed the extractor with a rubber molding that protects the housing while wheeling around the work tables and other equipment.
Job Site Clean Up
Cleaning is an inevitable part of every workday, but that doesn’t mean you have to spend more time doing it than is necessary. Cleaning up dust and debris will take a long time, as any experienced tradesperson knows. Dust sticks to almost every surface, including walls and floors, as well as your clothes and equipment. At the end of the day, we have been using the extractor to clean up our workspace as well. With the telescoping handle, there is no bending down to clean up. The head of the handle rolls nicely and there is strong suction to the cleaning surface.
Oversized On-Off Switch
The Makita XCV23Z Dust Extractor has a huge on-off switch located at the front of the vacuum and goes the entire length side to side. We feel this on-off switch is really one of the best features of the extractor. It is easily accessible for your hand or foot if you need to turn it on or off. There is not a small switch that solely requires execution by hand.
Front Control Panel
On the front panel, there is a dual battery fuel gauge indicator. This is great for determining the remaining life of that batteries without having to unlatch the back, pull out the batteries, and check. With a push of one button, you have all your information with no additional hassle. There is a variable speed control dial in the middle that goes from 1-5 and there is an on-off switch. Turn the switch to the on position and the top push-button on-off button is engaged.
Hose and Handle
The Makita Dust Extractor comes with a 5-1/2′ hose that is very stiff out of the box and was tough to straighten out but over time and use we anticipate it will loosen up and straighten out. The extractor also comes with a telescoping handle that starts at 26″ and extends to 40-1/2″ overall. The handle has two buttons you push in to remove from the hose. The head of the handle slips in and held in with friction. We would like to see the same style of pushbuttons holding in the head like the handle. The head is all plastic and rubber flap in the middle that prevents dust or debris from getting run over.
Makita Dust Extractor – Powered By Two 18v Batteries
The Makita XCV23Z is a 36v tool that is powered by two 18V LXT Lithium-Ion Batteries. The batteries are stored in the back of the vacuum and are shielded from the elements by a cover that locks down. The cover is held in place by a well-made quick-release latch.
What is the significance of dust extractors? Providing adequate dust extraction in your workplace is better health and safety (to all that are involved) is the most significant advantage. You are exposing yourself to a lot of bad stuff in the air if you do not use proper dust extraction and dust control. If there’s one thing we see a lot of tradespeople struggle with, it’s proper dust control. The Makita XCV23Z Cordless Dust Extractor is a great option for capturing dust at its source and saving time on clean-up at the end of the day!
About the author
Product reviews on this site contain our opinion of a product or service. We will always strive for objectivity and transparency in our reviews. Our goal is to provide readers with honest, objective information based on our own experiences. We never have and never will accept payment in exchange for a positive review. Many of the products that we review are provided to us for free by a manufacturer or retailer. In some cases, we also have advertising or affiliate relationships with manufacturers and retailers of products and services we review. For additional information please visit our additional disclosure policies.