Hilti SIW 8-22 ½” Cordless Impact Wrench Review
Hilti SIW 8-22 NURON Cordless Impact Wrench
1/2" Cordless Impact Wrench - NURON
Model number: SIW 8-22
Price: $334 bare tool
Power source: 22V Li-Ion
Motor size: Brushless
Weight: 5.3 lbs (Bare)
- The highest-torque cordless impact wrench you can get from Hilti, now capable of structural bolting up to M24
- Durable build – brushless motor and friction (hog) ring anvil contribute to the extreme longevity of our cordless impact wrenches
- Faster anchor setting with more control – two speed settings and improved LED light so you can set HUS concrete anchors faster, and maintain better control when working with smaller bolts
- Exceptional ergonomics – slimmer, 45 mm shorter and 0.5 kg lighter than the SIW 9-A22, helping to make your work more comfortable when bolting and anchoring all day
- On the Nuron battery platform – cordless impact wrenches without compromise thanks to longer-lasting batteries, time-saving accessories and a range of services to keep you productive, today and tomorrow
- Bolting steel – such as for primary and secondary steel structures, handrails, racking and machinery (M12-M24 diameter)
- Setting HUS anchors in concrete – such as for baseplates, formwork props, handrails and temporary fixtures (10-14 mm diameter)
- Lag bolting in wood – such as for primary and secondary wood structures, wooden roofs or temporary structures (12-20 mm diameter)
- Bolting steel – structural steel connections, pipe flanges, equipment, A325 bolts (1/2” to 15/16” diameter)
- Setting HUS anchors in concrete – such as for baseplates, formwork props, handrails and temporary fixtures (3/8” to 3/4” diameter)
- Anvil type: ½” friction ring
- Maximum torque: 443 ft-lbs (1); 738 ft-lbs (2)
- Nut busting torque: 1650 Nm
- Full hammering frequency: 2.950 impacts/minute
- Number of gears: 2
- No load RPM: gear 1: 1250 rpm; gear 2: 1500 rpm
- Dimensions (LxWxH): 8.1 x 3.1 x 8.8 in
- Tool body weight: 5.3 lb.
- A-weighted emission sound pressure level: 98 dB (A)
- Rated voltage: 21.6 V
Powerful and Packaged Right
Hilti’s new lineup of tools designed for the NURON battery platform are a pretty significant improvement in performance and features. This new high-torque cordless impact wrench has definitely benefited from the brushless motor and improved battery pack. It’s clear Hilti was trying to improve both run-time and power while cutting down the overall size of the tool and making a much more durable battery pack. They certainly accomplished all that. This is a great impact wrench that can handle a wide range of applications from fastening structural steel bolts to installing large wood fasteners.
The Hilti SIW 8-22 sits somewhere between a mid-range and high-torque tool. There are other cordless impact wrenches of this size with higher torque ratings for sure, but we like the fact that this tool has two different gears offering a lower torque rating of 443 ft-lbs and a higher rating of 738 ft-lbs. If you remember our Mid-Torque Cordless Impact Wrench Head-To-Head test, we defined mid-torque as 300-550 ft-lbs of torque. So as you can see this tool really fits both categories and that’s a huge plus especially if you want to have one tool that can handle a wider range of applications.
We’ve been using the Hilti SIW 8-22 on a couple framing projects for installing large wood fasteners and concrete screw anchors. The tool is compact enough that using it for wood anchors is a pleasure and it handles that application much better than a standard impact driver. It really shines installing concrete anchors and large lag bolts.
Paired up with a 4.0 Ah battery pack it’s really well balanced and comfortable to use. Weighing in at 5.3 lbs (without the battery) it’s certainly not super light but it’s much better than older similar powered impact wrenches.
The Hilti SIW 8-22, 1/2″ cordless impact wrench is a welcome upgrade from Hilti. Moving on to brushless motors on their new lineup is a drastic improvement and certainly helps them keep up with the competition. It’s clear they have invested a lot in improving their battery durability with the new NURON pack design. With a smaller footprint this is a great impact wrench for users looking to cover a wider range of applications that you might see in both a mid-torque design and a high-torque design.
About the author
Product reviews on this site contain our opinion of a product or service. We will always strive for objectivity and transparency in our reviews. Our goal is to provide readers with honest, objective information based on our own experiences. We never have and never will accept payment in exchange for a positive review. Many of the products that we review are provided to us for free by a manufacturer or retailer. In some cases, we also have advertising or affiliate relationships with manufacturers and retailers of products and services we review. For additional information please visit our additional disclosure policies.