RIDGID® X4 Compact Lithium-Ion Impact Driver Kit (R86034K) Review
RIDGID® X4 Compact Lithium-Ion Impact Driver Kit
This Spring Ridgid introduced a new light weight impact driver in their new ‘X4’ line. The X4 Compact Lithium-Ion Impact Driver (Model #R86034K) is 15% lighter than it’s predecessor with the same amount of power. The folks at Ridgid sent us this new impact driver to test out and report to all of you on our findings.
Features and Specifications
- High Torque Output 1,750 in. lbs for tough applications
- One Handed Quick- Load Bit Holder makes bit changes quicker and easier with a snap load collet and simple ejecting bit
- Hex Grip™ innovative micro texture for secure grip and maximum user comfort
- Grip Light engages light independently of trigger to illuminate work space
- Removable Belt Hook for either side of tool to keep impact driver in immediate reach comfort
- Powered by Hyper™ Lithium Built for high battery performance
- Volts: 18V
- Torque: 1,750 in. lbs
- Chuck: ¼ in. hex
- No Load Speeds: 0-2,400 RPM, 0-3,100 IPM
- Charger Volts: 18V
- Charge time: 25 minutes
- Battery Volts: 18V
- Capacity: 1.5 Ah
My Thoughts On The Ridgid X4 Compact Impact Driver
Over the last couple of years I’ve tested so many impact drivers that I must have more than 20 of them kicking around the shop now. Impact drivers are here to stay and they make life so much easier! So how did the Ridgid X4 work?
- Power – The X4 has plenty of power and falls in the middle of the pack for torque. Probably the closest compact impact driver that I have tested is the DeWALT DCF826 which has 1,330 in-lbs of torque which is slightly less than the X4 at 1,750 in-lbs. The X4 performed very well driving long 3″ and 4″ screws in dimensional lumber and engineered lumber. It also did very well installing 1/2″ diameter lag screws.
- Control – I did have some trouble trying to reduce the tip speed so I didn’t strip screws. At lower speeds it’s hard to get the impact action to always engage. However, I was able to correct that issue using a impact driver clutch accessory. This isn’t a huge problem but worth pointing out.
- Balance – The X4 is very well balanced and extremely comfortable to hold and use.
- LED Light – The X4 has an LED light mounted just above the battery pack. A unique design feature is the light “trigger” which is mounted lower on the tool grip so that you can turn on the LED light before you start to drill. This is different than other drills that require you to depress the trigger partially in order to turn on the light.
- Battery Charger – I really like the battery charger for the X4. If you look at the first photo you’ll see the battery charger actually sits in the upright position unlike most 18V chargers that sit horizontally. This design takes up far less room on a shelf which I really like. I’d love to see more chargers take on this shape.
- Durability – This is one tough tool! This weekend I was using it for an insulation project in my new workshop and I dropped it from the “attic” space to the concrete slab below. Basically the impact driver fell about 14′ and it still works like new! That wasn’t a planned drop but it sure did point out how tough it is!
- Misc. Features – In addition to the features pointed out above the X4 also comes equipped with other features that you expect in a good impact driver including: rubber pads/bumpers on the tool (they are all over the tool including the base of the battery pack), belt clip, bit holder, and a great LED battery life indicator.
The X4 Compact Lithium-Ion Impact Driver Kit is a great option if you’re looking for a lighter compact impact driver. I was very pleased with the overall performance of it compared to other similar tools that I’ve tested. I would highly recommend it especially if you already own other Ridgid tools that take the same 18V battery system.
It’s available at The Home Depot for $169.00 at the following link:
1/4 In. Cordless Impact Driver
About the author
Product reviews on this site contain our opinion of a product or service. We will always strive for objectivity and transparency in our reviews. Our goal is to provide readers with honest, objective information based on our own experiences. We never have and never will accept payment in exchange for a positive review. Many of the products that we review are provided to us for free by a manufacturer or retailer. In some cases, we also have advertising or affiliate relationships with manufacturers and retailers of products and services we review. For additional information please visit our additional disclosure policies.