18 Volt Cordless Combo Kit Head to Head
Ridgid X4 18-Volt Hyper Lithium-Ion Cordless Combo Kit (5-Tool)
Model #9651 – $499
Warranty is HUGE: With free registration, this tool is covered for life. FREE Batteries. FREE Parts. FREE Service. FOR LIFE
Kit Includes: Work Light, Reciprocating Saw, Circular Saw, Impact Driver, Hammer / Drill Driver, (2) 4.0 Ah batteries and charger.
For years we’ve been saying that Ridgid is a hidden gem for contractors and PRO’s. Their 5 tool combo kit epitomizes that statement when you consider the quality of the tools compared to the overall price point. Combine that with one of the best warranties on the market and we feel this combo kit is definitely worth consideration for any contractor.
The Ridgid X4 18V Combo kit we evaluated includes five tools: LED work light, 6-½” circular saw, reciprocating saw, impact driver, compact hammer drill, charger, and two 4.0 Ah battery packs. The kit comes with a large canvas storage bag with ample room for all the tools.
- LED Work Light #R8691 – Dual mode switches between spot light and area light and includes a retractable rafter hook.
- 6-½” Circular Saw #R8651 – 5,000 RPM motor speed, 50 degree bevel capacity, trigger light, blower port for dust removal and electric brake.
- Reciprocating Saw #R8641K – On/Off orbital action, adjustable tool-free shoe, ¾” stroke length, and grip light.
- Impact Driver #R86034 – 1,750 in-lbs of torque, ¼” hex, removable belt hook, grip light, and one handed quick-load bit change.
- Hammer Drill #R8611501 – Compact ½” hammer drill, 1/2 in. single sleeve ratcheting chuck carbide locking mechanism, grip light, 25600 blows per minute, mode selector which allows quick transition between driving, drilling or hammer modes without changing the clutch setting.
This kit may not be considered “premium” like some of the others, however Ridgid is certainly a contender for entry level Pros, medium duty use, or contractors looking for an affordable cordless kit option.
The impact driver and reciprocating saw were notable standouts among the five tools. The reciprocating saw is the only 18V cordless saw among the tools we tested that offers a switch to change from regular cutting motion to orbital motion. This feature opens the kit up to both carpenters and mechanical contractors.
This kit comes standard with two 4.0 Ah battery packs which adds to the overall value of this kit. Some of the other kits come with smaller batteries (Dewalt is (2) 3.0 Ah). The Ridgid battery packs also include a fuel gauge which is a nice added feature and the included charger only take 50 minutes for a full charge.
When it comes to durability Editor Todd Fratzel feels the kit holds up very well. Both he and his crew have been using the X4 platform for over a year and the tools have performed very well. Out of all the tools in the kit the circular saw is the least “robust” with it’s lightweight shoe.
Overall we’d give this kit 4.5 out of 5 stars due to it’s value, warranty and overall performance.
About the author
Product reviews on this site contain our opinion of a product or service. We will always strive for objectivity and transparency in our reviews. Our goal is to provide readers with honest, objective information based on our own experiences. We never have and never will accept payment in exchange for a positive review. Many of the products that we review are provided to us for free by a manufacturer or retailer. In some cases, we also have advertising or affiliate relationships with manufacturers and retailers of products and services we review. For additional information please visit our additional disclosure policies.