18 Volt Cordless Combo Kit Head to Head
Porter Cable 20V MAX* Lithium Ion 4-Tool [Impact Driver Purchased Separately] Combo Kit
Model #PCCK614L4 – $229 Model #PCC642LA – $89
1 Year Limited Warranty
Porter Cable’s 20 Volt MAX line is aggressively geared towards the serious homeowner, DIYer, or pro-sumer. These cordless tools, as one of our crew members put it, “Should not be the first choice for professional contractors but should be high on the list for DIY-ers. This kit brings a wide range of tool options all with the convenience of being cordless at an UNBEATABLE price.” The PCCK614L4 includes a drill/driver, impact driver, circular saw, reciprocating saw, and flashlight.
- PCC601 1⁄2″ Drill/Driver – Variable speed ranges of 0-350-rpm and 0-1,500-rpm, Keyless 23- position chuck.
- PCCK640LB Impact Driver – 0-2,900 RPM, 0-3,100 BPM, Easy-load chuck allows user to insert bit with 1 hand.
- PCC660 Circular Saw – Lightweight, motor operates at 3,700 RPM’s, has a 6-1/2″ carbide tooth blade ( 2-1/8′ cutting capacity) and beveling shoe (50 degrees).
- PCC670 Reciprocating Saw – Variable speed trigger controls the 0 to 3,000 SPM (strokes per minute), twist style – tool free blade release.
- PCC700 Flash Light – contoured over molded handle, stands up on battery pack, features 4 LED bulbs (120 Lumens), pivoting head
The Porter Cable Kit was overwhelming seen as a DIY kit, but our crew appreciated the low price of entry. Furthermore the impact driver impressed the entire team, each time we drove a screw or ledger lock with the PCC642LA the user quickly lifted their head in surprise at how well it performed compared to the other tools in the kit.
Overall the kit delivers solid drills and an effective light but lacks powerful saws. The circular saw was flimsy and the blade was very difficult to install and change due to the low clearance between the arbor and guard/shoe. The reciprocating saw, which are notoriously underpowered in the cordless class, was too small and very underpowered for professional job site work.
We gave this kit a 3.25 out of 5 stars for it’s quality drills, affordability, and accessible kit. Overall this is not a pro-grade tool kit, with the exception of the drill and impact drivers, but is a solid choice for a homeowner, with some upgrades to the saws in this kit, the PCCK614L4 and PCC642LA have the potential to score higher and be considered an entry level pro set.
About the author
Product reviews on this site contain our opinion of a product or service. We will always strive for objectivity and transparency in our reviews. Our goal is to provide readers with honest, objective information based on our own experiences. We never have and never will accept payment in exchange for a positive review. Many of the products that we review are provided to us for free by a manufacturer or retailer. In some cases, we also have advertising or affiliate relationships with manufacturers and retailers of products and services we review. For additional information please visit our additional disclosure policies.