Proto® 1/2″ Drive Air Impact Wrench Review – Model J150WP
Proto 1/2″ Drive Air Impact Wrench J150WP
Proto 1/2" Drive Air Impact Wrench
Model number: J150WP
Power source: Pnuematic
Weight: 4.8 lbs
Impact wrenches are one of those essential shop tools that get used and abused daily and often get taken for granted. That’s why having a powerful, reliable, comfortable air impact driver is absolutely at the top of most mechanics must have lists. We recently had the pleasure of testing and reviewing a new air impact driver from Proto® Air Tools.
The Proto J150WP is a 1/2″ Drive Air Impact Wrench is a lightweight, powerful impact driver built for professional use. Some of the features include:
- Titanium housing helps to reduce weight, improve balance and ensure maximum durability.
- Ergonomically designed handle-forward design improves balance and control, helping to reduce operator fatigue.
- Robust twin hammer mechanism for efficient energy transfer and long service life.
- Ambidextrous forward/reverse lever can be actuated with a single hand, even with gloves on.
- Three position power regulator for forward rotation. Reverse rotation operates at maximum for highest breakaway torque.
- Feather throttle for maximum operator control.
- Side-fed, 6-vane air motor for maximum power and efficiency.
- Machined motor housing reduces number of parts, creating precision alignment, reducing wear, increasing efficiency and simplifying maintenance.
- 360º Rotating Air Inlet Fitting.
- Titanium Exhaust Deflector and Muffler.
- Integrated Tethering Capability in all Proto® Air Tools.
- Optional ProtoID™Air Fitting for RFID Tracking Capability. Visit www.cribmaster.com for more information.
Powerful & Well Built
In order to really get an idea of how well the Proto J150WP performs we tested it at two locations. First off I tested it in my shop for a few days. Then we brought it to one of our local tire shops and let one of the tech’s use it to change wheels all day.
The first thing I noticed about this wrench is how powerful it is and how comfortable it is to use and hold. The weight and balance of this impact wrench make it easy to handle while imposing very little reactionary torque on the user. With very little effort we were consistently tightening lugs nuts to 80 ft-lbs of torque.
The titanium housing and rubber grip are very well built with an industrial looking design. The quality of the materials appear to be very good which should result in a long life in the hostile environment of busy shops.
We also brought the J150WP down to the local tire store and let the guys in the shop use it for the day. The overall reaction was very positive. They too agreed that it’s powerful, comfortable and very durable looking. The guys were also very impressed with how easy it is to switch from forward to reverse. The three position regulator switch was also something they thought was a great feature. Overall the crew thought it was a very good air impact wrench.
The Proto 1/2″ Drive Air Impact Wrench (J150WP) is a high quality tool built for industrial/commercial applications. It’s powerful, comfortable and offers user friendly features. It’s certainly an impact wrench that I’m glad I now have in my shop and I’ll gladly recommend it to others looking for a new air impact wrench.
About the author
Product reviews on this site contain our opinion of a product or service. We will always strive for objectivity and transparency in our reviews. Our goal is to provide readers with honest, objective information based on our own experiences. We never have and never will accept payment in exchange for a positive review. Many of the products that we review are provided to us for free by a manufacturer or retailer. In some cases, we also have advertising or affiliate relationships with manufacturers and retailers of products and services we review. For additional information please visit our additional disclosure policies.